Popular Posts

Sunday, May 27, 2018

The House of Long Shadows by Ambrose Ibsen

It seems I can't get enough of this author/ narrator combination. The House of Long Shadows is another edge of the seat horror story.



My Review:
Kevin is a videotuber with a home improvement show. He's looking for a contract from the big guys so he comes up with a 30 day challenge. He buys an old, vacant house somewhere in Detroit for a small cost. It's located on a street filled with crumbling homes and is completely isolated. The house is in reatively good shape and in 30 days he plans to renovate it.

He begins the renovations right away and creey goes to creepier . His camera catches stuff he blows off as not possible because it doesn't make sense. His mind can't process it and comes up with far fetched logical ideas to make up for what can't be explained until he has to accept the unexplainable.

The story is fast paced, perfectly narrated and well written. It's a nail biter with a few laughs. Its also mostly a monologue as Kevin is alone in the creepy house. The simplicity of that is clever. The author put me in his head and in that house and in his position. The plot steadily moves forward and the suspense moves right along with it. I mostly listen in the car on my way to work and it was difficult to tear myself away to do my job. I wanted to keep listening! I had to know what was going to happen next.


Excellent!

Amazon/Audible

No comments:

Post a Comment