Popular Posts

Saturday, October 3, 2020

Out of Darkness They Came by Gene Penny

 If you're looking for something equal parts suspense, mystery, humor, supernatural with a pinch of yuck, this is it!


My thoughts:
This book isn't exactly what I expected but was a pleasant surprise. There's action, suspense, supernatural and simply some oddities that made it both funny and a nail biter. A group of students and a few adults are in a high school during the wee hours of the morning when a series of strange occurrences start to happen. As a high school biology teacher who is an hour early ever day, before the sun is up, the sky outside is black, I'm in my classroom preparing for the day. I know what those times feel like and the authors descriptions were so very appropriate and true. They had me laughing.
Gene Penny is a very talented writer. The descriptions were spot on and done with finesse. The characters were three dimensional, mind you I didn't like them all. But if a book is written appropriately I won't like them all. There was more language in it than I personally care for and even though the narrator was good, great pacing, I was a bit unnerved by the male to female voices. That's probably more of a personal listening thing.
The story was great! I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys mystery, suspense and/or the supernatural.

No comments:

Post a Comment