Popular Posts

Monday, October 13, 2014

How important is plot?

I completed a post on character building the other day. Characters are important. Readers want to connect with them in some way whether it be empathy, hate or love. Another important aspect is plot. Have you ever read a book without one and been left saying, "That's it?" I have.

To me there is nothing worse than reading a book and waiting for the plot to show up, sometimes it never does. I feel empty inside when I can't find the purpose to the book I'm reading. I like books with plot twists and turns that guide me as a reader into the creative mind of the author. I also tend to like horror, suspense, and paranormal reads. 

As an author I've been told that I have a talent in building plot and wrapping up all the loose ends. That could be because I'm meticulous about it. I often start a story with an ending in mind. Not that the book ends the way I plan it. Sometimes, I write the ending first which drives the entire story. I envision it as a triangle with the climax as the top point of the triangle and the bottom broad area as the beginning of the novel. The rest of the triangle fills in as the story moves forward, more and more loose ends being tied up as I move upward in the triangle. 

Every author has their own way of progressing through a story so there is no right or wrong way of doing it. A few stories I've read over the years that have strong twisty plots are 
THE REGULATORS by Richard Bachman (A.K.A. Stephen King), 
Reliquary (Special Agent Pendergast Book 2)by Douglas Preston and a new author who has impressed me  The Dead Game by Susanne Leist. I can't leave out my all time favorite author who was my first real leap into a morbid world filled with plot twists My Sweet Audrina by V.C. Andrews.I'm not sure that my books compare to theirs or that my writing skills are even in the same category but most of these books along with a collection of others are what has trained my writing and imagination. 

My donation into the world of twisted plots and horror is Eye of The Storm: Eilida's Tragedy (Ruthless Storm Book 1). I can only hope that one day it will be ranked with the above novels.

Since I'm talking about horror under the scope of plot. This video has a an awesome plot and is still my favorite video made of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment