Popular Posts

Friday, July 1, 2016

Karen Ingalls Davida Book Review

I really enjoyed this book. It's well written and captivating.



My Review:
I chose to read this book as it’s unlike what I usually read and I really loved it. The story is based on a true story although, the author had to fill in the blanks. The book starts with Albertina, a young Swedish girl, traveling to the U.S. with her mother after the death of her father. They have family in the U.S. Albertina quickly grows into a beautiful young woman who catches the eye of Augustus Saint-Gaudens. He is an artist and wants to hire her as a model. They become involved in a relationship beyond that of model and artist.

This story is beautifully written and captivated me from start to finish. I can’t say I like Augustus at all. He seemed very emotionally selfish and inconsiderate but financially extravagant. Albertina on the other hand, I really liked. She was a strong woman but I question her taste in men. However, the story takes place soon after the civil war in the U.S. and the country was a very different place then. Part of the beauty in the writing is the feelings the story invoked in me. Only the most talented writers can do that.

Amazon
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment