Popular Posts

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Naughty or Nice Event Author Michael Smart


Don't miss the Facebook Naughty or Nice Christmas Author Party Event. It's online so it doesn't matter where you live, join in the fun! Below is an interview with Author Michael Smart, he'll be there!

Buy Links
Amazon: Dead Reckoning (The Bequia Mysteries) (Volume 1) 
Amazon: Deadeye (The Bequia Mysteries Book 2)
Amazon. co.uk Dead Reckoning (The Beguia Mysteries) (Volume 1)
Amazon.co.uk Deadeye (The Beguia Mysteries Book 2)
Smashwords

Don't forget when you buy to post your order number on the above Facebook event link to be entered into the grand giveaway!


Elle: Tell us a little about you as a person.

Michael: I’m of Jamaican and British ancestry, born in New York City, but lived until age 16 in various parts of Europe and the West Indies. Probably where I acquired the traveling bug, but I think I actually inherited it from my adventurous mother. I retired from the work-a-day world for the first time in my late twenties to travel around the world, and I spent years sailing around the Caribbean. Returned to the work-a-day world to raise two extraordinary kids, and retired again as soon as they were off on their own. Now I travel and write fulltime.

Elle: So, what have you written?


Michael: I’ve written a series called the Bequia Mysteries, set in St.
Vincent and the Grenadines in the Eastern Caribbean, and my first science fiction novel will be published early in 2015. 


Elle: 1f this book is part of a series, tell us a little about it?


Michael: As I mentioned, the Bequia Mysteries are set in the exotic Caribbean islands of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, involving three central protagonists who share my passion for sailing and flying, and who navigate complex relationships as they endeavor to solve the central dilemma and stay alive. The stories involve themes of redemption, life changing choices, and love.

Elle: Give us an insight into your main character. What does he/she do that is so special?

Michael: The Bequia Mysteries involve three main characters. They’re a team, sort of. I won’t say more. You’ll have to read the
first three titles in the series to meet and get to know them. But people who’ve read the novels have all fallen in love with the characters. One reader told me she actually dreams about one of them.


Elle: Where do your ideas come from?



Michael: Ideas come from anywhere and everywhere.  Sometimes when I least expect it. They can come from contemporary events, a news story perhaps, or from people watching, from films, television shows, novels, and of course my own experiences.

Elle: What genre are your books?

Michael: Mysteries and science fiction. The mysteries aren’t all part of the Bequia series. And my science fiction usually has a mystery buried in the story. 

Elle: What is the hardest thing about writing?

Michael: Writing. Learning and continually practicing the craft, so you can translate what you imagine in your mind into appropriate words and style to convey it accurately and vividly to the reader. 

Elle: What draws you to this genre?

Michael: They are the genres I read as a kid and adolescent.
Starting with the Hardy Boys, and Nancy Drew. As I grew older I gravitated to Chandler, Spillane, John and Ross MacDonald, and in science fiction, Asimov, Clarke, Herbert, Wells, Verne, Bradbury, Heinlein. I was fascinated by these authors and these stories, and the power of imagination. A fascination I still possess today. So those are the genres I’m drawn to write in.

Elle: What is the easiest thing about writing?

Michael: Writing. When I’m in the groove it flows like water from a tap.

Elle: Besides writing what are your favorite things to do?

Michael: I have two passions besides reading and writing. Ocean sailing and flying. I’m happiest when I’m above the clouds, or a thousand miles at seas with no land in sight.

Elle: Do you have a favorite movie and/or book?

Michael: I have too many favorite books to name just one, and they change with time and mood. Right now I’m rereading the Patrick O’Brian Aubrey/Maturin series for many the fifth time. One of my favorite movies is “Fly away Home” by Carroll Ballard, with a teen-aged Anna Paquin, and Jeff Daniels and Dana Delany.  

Where to find Michael:

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for inviting me to participate in this event and for this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YW! The event was a blast. best of luck with your new release!

      Delete